Skip to content
Emergency Information

Health Insurance

Local Emergency Assistance for Students 

In the event of an emergency, students abroad should first contact the on-site staff at the host institution or their faculty director. This is usually the best source of information and assistance in a foreign country. You can also contact the nearest U.S. Embassy and Consulate.

Visit Emergencies and Crises and Get Help in a Foreign Country to find out what to do in a variety of circumstances (i.e., lost/stolen passport, financial assistance, arrest/incarceration, etc.)
  • U.S. Department of State Switchboard: 1-800-877-8339 (from overseas: 1-202-647-4000)
  • Oversease Citizens Services: Call 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444)
  • After Hours Duty Officer: 1-202-647-1512
  • Lost/Stolen Passports: Call 1-877-487-2778
  • Embassies/Consulates (varies by location)
Families in the United States whose U.S. citizen relatives abroad may be directly affected by the crisis can contact the Department of State through our Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management at (202) 647-5225.

Medical Assistance/Health Insurance 

All students who study abroad through EIU are enrolled in an HTH International Health Insurance and Emergency Assistance Plan. Much more than a typical insurance plan, members have a great number of benefits available to them, including Doctor Search, CityHealth Profiles, Security Profiles, News, Drug Translation Guide, Medical Phrases and Terms Translation, and Travel Health (see below). What to do if you get sick while traveling.
  • Inside the US, call toll free 1.800.257.4823
  • Outside the US, call collect +1.610.254.8771
HTH Worldwide Insurance Services HTH International provides the following coverage for study abroad students.

Click here to download an informational brochure for Eastern Illinois University.

Demos of Member Services
  • Doctor Search - Learn more about HTH's international physician community and online Doctor Search that allows users to locate a contracted, English-speaking doctor in any of 178 countries, review his/her biography, and even schedule an appointment online.
  • CityHealth Profiles - These profiles contain critical health information about commonly visited countries and cities.
  • News - International travelers today need access to the latest security and health news, customized for their itinerary and interests, and delivered through a personalized web page or sent to their email inbox.
  • Drug Translation Guide - Prescription and over-the-counter medications are sold under different names around the world. This demo will show you how HTH can help you locate the medications you rely on at home, regardless of where your travels take you.
  • Medical Phrases and Terms Translation - Clear communication is a crucial part of high quality healthcare. This Demo will show you how HTH can help.
  • Travel Health - Whether your goal is to avoid jet lag or prepare for a safe overseas work assignment, HTH's travel health articles can help. Check out this Demo to learn more.
Eastern Illinois University

To reach the University in the event of an emergency, please call the EIU Police Department at (217) 581-3212. This information is detailed on the emergency card you received at pre-departure orientation.

Other important university phone numbers:
  • Dean of Graduate Studies, International Programs - (217) 581-6652
  • Counseling Center - (217) 581-3413
  • Health Service - (217) 581-3013
  • Housing Office at EIU - (217) 581-5111
  • Records - (217) 581- 3511
  • Financial Aid - (217) 581- 6405
  • Student Accounts - (217) 581- 3715
  • Registration Office  - (217) 581- 3831
Faculty Director Handbook: Emergencies Abroad

Contact Us
Office of Study Abroad
1207 Blair Hall
Phone (+1)-217-581-7267 : Fax (+1) 217-581-7299

Regular Office Hours
Monday through Friday : 8 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.

GSA Partner Logo
Last modified 04/21/2015