Study Abroad Emergencies
EIU students overseas and in crisis- please contact:
Local emergency services in your host country (911 equivalent number)
EIU Police 24/7/365: (00) 1-217-581-3213
Your faculty leader's cell phone (check your emergency card or ask another student it you don't have it)
EIU William V. Weber Program in Study Abroad (00) 1-217-581-7355 or 217-581-3390
EIU International Insurance GeoBlue 24/7/365 medical assistance: +1.610.254.8771 (collect calls accepted)
Nearest US Embassy or Consulate (US citizens)
Local Emergency Assistance for Students
In the event of an emergency, students abroad should first contact the on-site staff at the host institution or their faculty director. This is usually the best source of information and assistance in a foreign country. You can also contact the nearest U.S. Embassy and Consulate.
Visit the US State Department's Getting Help in an Emergency to find out what to do in a variety of circumstances (i.e., lost/stolen passport, financial assistance, arrest/incarceration, etc.)
- U.S. Department of State Switchboard: 1-800-877-8339 (from overseas: 1-202-647-4000)
- Oversease Citizens Services: Call 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444)
- After Hours Duty Officer: 1-202-498-9077
- Life-or-Death Emergencies: 1-202-647-4000
- Lost/Stolen Passports: Call 1-877-487-2778
- Embassies/Consulates (varies by location)
Medical Assistance/Health Insurance
What to do if you get sick while traveling.
All students who study abroad through EIU are enrolled in a GeoBlue International Health Insurance and Emergency Assistance Plan. All students are highly encouraged to download the GeoBlue app and register as a user.
GeoBlue offers 24/7/365 Global Health & Safety phone assistance. GeoBlue representatives are available for help managing any issues related to medical care.
To contact GeoBlue Global Health & Safety call:
- Inside the US, call toll free 1.800.257.4823
- Outside the US, call collect +1.610.254.8771
- To place a collect call, dial 0170 from your phone and wait for the international operator.
To reach the University in the event of an emergency, please call the EIU Police Department at (217) 581-3212. A dispatcher is available 24/7/365. This information is detailed on the emergency card you received at pre-departure orientation.
Other important university phone numbers:
- Dean of Graduate Studies, International Programs - (217)-581-2220
- Counseling Center - (217) 581-3413
- Health Service - (217) 581-3013
- Housing Office at EIU - (217) 581-5111
- Office of Registrar- (217) 581- 3511
- Financial Aid - (217) 581- 6405
- Bursar/Student Accounts - (217) 581- 3715