Experience all that Rome has to offer with the Open Campus program, and customize a study abroad program that meets your academic, schedule, and financial goals. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks for your perfect amount of intensive study and cultural engagement, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas. No matter what you choose, you’ll surround yourself with the language, culture, and people of the Eternal City.
the historic center of Rome.
the Vatican Museums, St. Peters and much more.
how to make fresh pasta.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit numerous significant Rome locations to underscore and expand on in-class lessons.
- Students participate in a two-night, three-day study tour to another region in Italy during each academic block. All study tour expenses are included in the program fee.
Sample study tours:
- Explore the ancient ruins of Pompeii before heading to the Amalfi Coast to see its stunning cliffs and learn about its tradition of local businesses and craftsmanship.
- Experience the Veneto region and its charming towns of Venice and Padua or fly across the sea to the island of Sicily and its late Baroque heritage in the Val di Noto.
- Volunteering. Help out at local retirement communities, arts organizations, youth centers, homeless shelters, and more.
- Language support. Italian language partners (typically local Italian students) are available to help students practice and improve their Italian language skills.
- Students interested in one of the following Academic Projects must submit additional materials as part of their course selection:
- Internships. Build new skills and intercultural competencies, and become an active member of the Rome professional environment by interning at a local business.
- Research. Pursue a research project of your own design incorporating independent, local fieldwork.
- Service-learning. Combine course-based learning with practical, relevant project experience to meet a community-defined need.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Multi-day on-site orientation – introducing students to the Italian and Roman society and culture, and the CIEE academic program.
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|